Monday, November 24, 2008

Jane: Book mini-Reviews

I haven't written a book review in here for a while, but I've been writing them in my reader's notebook. Just 1-2 sentence reviews, like my mom used to do. Here are a few I read early this fall.
(No, you can't look inside; I got my image from Amazon!)
A young teen girl observes the reactions of her small-town neighbors when a camp for Japanese-Americans is built nearby during WWII.
(This is also our choice for the 2009 Linn Area Reads book.)

When an editor is slain in the newsroom of a New York Times-like newspaper, chaos ensues. Delightfully mordant humor with Dickensian names and characters.

Tell me what you've been reading.

2 comments:

wclaspy said...

I have, of course, been reading books for my podcast (http://blog.case.edu/orgs/ksl/offtheshelf), but my pleasure reading for the last few weeks has been Dickens' "Little Dorrit." It is one I haven't read before and I'm enjoying it immensely. The tale of class and financial ruin is quite timely, although it is the spectre of prison that haunts the whole book. BBC has a production of it airing now in the UK- this side of the pond we'll see it next spring on Masterpiece. On deck are Schlink's "The Reader" and Alex Ross's "The Rest is Noise."

T-Mom said...

Dorothy Wordsworth's Grasmere and Alfoxden Journals for the bedroom, John Romer's Ancient Lives for the living room, and a volume of H.P. Lovecraft short stories for outside while the dogs are playing (temporarily on hold until the weather warms up!).