Thursday, August 20, 2009

Jane: Marching Mom Camp


I just got back from marching band camp . . . yes, you heard correctly. I was at camp this morning, volunteering.

Apparently, this is the way they keep the costs for marching band camp low: parents come to help in the kitchen and with clean up. This way, it costs only $100 for 4 days/3 nights.

When I got there, I swept the cafeteria, then mopped the serving area. After that, I went into the kitchen and did whatever they told me: washed dishes, cut up melon, made sandwiches, organized the salad bar, etc etc. I kept thinking of my friend Karen, who was a camp director for a few years, and who LOVES to cook for large groups! I don't think I'm cut out for it.

The food tasted OK, but when cooking for large groups, I think it helps to have the large groups be very hungry, because it's not going to be gourmet quality or very fresh. Lots of cans were opened. . .

Robbie is now at 9th grade orientation, a day-long event (!) rivaling the orientation for many first year college students!

No comments: