Monday, January 11, 2010

Jane: Robbie's birthday weekend

If I had been smart, I would have taken my camera along yesterday when the whole family went sledding! Then I would have had great photos, like my brother's photos of his family skiing and skating.

The weather was reasonable, in the teens, so we all headed out to Bever Park for sledding. Besides the usual cold weather garb, I added NASA socks
and my snow pants
(can I point out that I've had these since high school?:-) No jeans of mine from that era would fit me now, but the snowpants, yes!)
I knew we'd be exercising, so I omitted the silk longjohns.

It was good to sled--I like the occasional bit of thrill. Robbie did well on his snowboard, and Eli snowboarded on a sled and also did well.

The night before, we went out for supper for Robbie's birthday. He requested a Japanese sushi and steakhouse, so we went to Oyama Sushi and Steakhouse, a locally-owned place. The owner's Mom was Chinese, his dad was Japanese, so he owns two restaurants . . . !

It's a beautiful little place.
Lots of people were there that evening, which made it seem festive. Bruce got a noodle hot pot, and the rest of us got bento boxes with tempura veggies and shrimp, pickled ginger, seaweed salad, rolls (california or tuna) . . .
After supper, the waitstaff brought Robbie a dessert with a candle in it, and everyone in the restaurant sang happy birthday to him, while a waiter banged a small gong! Wish I had a photo of that! Robbie enjoyed it.

No comments: