Friday, February 12, 2010

Jane: Bird Counting


I just heard about a great birding opportunity--the Great Backyard Bird Count, which is happening this weekend.

Bruce and I used to do the Audubon Society's Winter Bird count every year. It was before Christmas, and involved getting up early and tromping around in the snow to various bird-ish sites in Cedar Rapids, counting birds. I liked it, but I wasn't crazy about how cold I'd get by lunch time.

This count, by contrast, can be done from the comfort of one's own home. Apparently, you just watch for birds in your yard, and report the highest number of each species seen during a particular time period. You can look intermittently all day, or choose time slots--15 minute segments. They have a form to fill out so you know what to look for.

I'm going to do this for sure. I'm always watching who's at my bird feeders!

1 comment:

wclaspy said...

Can you count FECKING squirrels??? :-)