Sunday, September 5, 2010

:-) and :-( in the garden

(Warning: I am writing this story on my laptop, which has a keyboard problem. I spilled some water on it & two keys are not working. You will be able to tell, but I will do my best to work around it with the spell sheker, et. The computer guy at Koe has ordered a new keyboard for me and will install it, too! I can't wait!)

Bak to the garden . . .
My autumn clematis is blooming!
I got it 2 years ago, and it hasn't bloomed. It didn't die, like the Jackman clematis I had to replace after one year, but this is the first time it's bloomed. I gave it a little shot of MiracleGro about a month ago. Maybe that did the trick! I will give the Jackman a shot of food in late May and see if that helps it.

Other things in my garden don't look very good, like these ratty tomatoes.
They are bearing OK, though the shade has kind of crept up on them from the trees behind them. But the incessant rain has been a real boon for fungus diseases . . . not sure how long they will survive into the fall.

But this is cool: those raspberry plants I got from Karen and Kevin are doing very well! they have berries on them that will ripen in September.

We need to think of a way to prop them up--I'm thinking of buying some metal fence posts and stringing wire between so they will be held up . . . a project for my young engineer and plantsman . . .

And maybe this kitty.

No comments: