Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bike Ride to Moving Site

The sun came out today! Only those of you who live in the Midwest understand how amazing this is.

Eli is on a band trip to Adventureland today, and the rest of us decided to take advantage of the awesome weather and go for a bike ride. We rode down through downtown, where one of those nasty Cedar Rapids smells assailed our noses (sour corn, probably, from one of the processing plants), and then headed along the river to Czech town.

I'd been wanting to go over there for a while. They are moving the Czech museum to higher ground after it was completely flooded in 2008. You may remember the pictures--it was kind of an emblem of the flood.
But when you see those flood pictures, you can tell that the building is HUGE! Their website says it'll be a record-breaking move of 3 million pounds! I was having a hard time picturing it.

But, when we got to Czech town, there it was, up on enormous I-beams, propped about 6 feet above the old foundation. There were a few other "tourists" checking it out, too.

The wet weather has postponed the move (I guess moving a 3 million pound building is not something you do in mud). I think I might have to stop by on the day they actually move it.

Here's a cool animation about the moving process.

In other news, the forget-me-not I got from Judi a couple years ago is blooming!
It's come up every year, and has pretty leaves, but the flowers are really great.

No comments: