Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jane: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

This is one of those books that you finish, and then you have to let it sink in a while. I finished it yesterday, but it'll be a while before I'm ready to start another book, despite being an avowed book addict.

I summarized it to Ken as "Hamlet in Wisconsin with dogs," and that's what it is, but it's so much more complex. The author is one of those writers who can draw you in with luscious prose that builds suspense and reveals characters so well that you're glad the book is 560 pages.

The descriptions of the landscape--it's near the Chequamegon Nat. Forest--help you feel like you're there. And I've never owned a dog, but the details about breeding, raising and training the family's special breed of dogs made me think that maybe someday I'd like to own a dog like that.

Because it's Hamlet, it's a tragedy, no surprise. But the ending seems so grace-filled and touching--free of revenge and somehow redemptive.

Tell me if you read it!

No comments: