Saturday, October 3, 2009

Jane: Doing things with peaches

Twice in the last few weeks I've gotten fruit from the store which was . . . less than decent. Once it was nectarines, the next time it was peaches. It's such a disappointment when you bite into a peach or nectarine expecting it to be juicy and sweet . . . and it ends up being rubbery or pithy. Ugh.

Not wanting to waste fruit, I've tried baking with these less-than-decent fruits, and usually that works fine. Even a not-very-good peach will bake up nicely.

First time I made a little tart with the nectarines. I only had 2 of them, but that was all I needed with this recipe I found somewhere online.


Today, I had peaches--3 big ones--that were rubbery and not juicy. I made this Peach Crisp, using an apple crisp recipe and substituting ginger for cinnamon. I can't decide if I should put it in the freezer for later or just eat now! I'm thinking the boys will decide that for me :-)

No comments: