Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Jane: Crocheted Vest for Bill


When I saw the pattern for this vest in Interweave's Crochet magazine, I knew I had to make it for my brother!

It may be hard to tell from the picture, but it's crocheted, in front loop/back loop single crocheted rows from side to side, which makes that lovely, heavy ribbed fabric. I learned how to sew a zipper into a crocheted item with this pattern, too, which was cool.
Here's Bill in the vest--and he got it exactly right: I imagined him wearing it on chilly days when he goes on fishing expeditions. The wool has lanolin in it, so should keep him dry when it's rainy. And besides, it is fisherman's wool :-)

I love making things for Bill. He's a hand-crafter himself--a woodworker--so he truly appreciates hand-made items, knowing what goes into making things. I've been the happy recipient of some of his hand work, like this beautiful plant stand, and the little triangle box that has a cool hinged lid.



The other reason I wanted to make this for him was a conversation we had a LONG time ago--he probably doesn't even remember it. I was showing him some knitted item I'd made--maybe one of those fisherman-look berets I made back in the mid '80's. And he innocently asked me "Could you make me one of those fisherman knit sweaters?" I remember replying, "No way--I'm not that good!" which was true, but his interest got me thinking that I'd like to get good enough to make him one someday.

This isn't exactly a fisherman's knit sweater--more of a fisherman's crochet vest, but I'm pleased I was finally able to get good enough to make it for him!

No comments: