Saturday, April 24, 2010

Jane: Totally useless

So you're wondering "Jane, when are you going to stop writing editorials and start writing about totally useless items again?"

Now.


Here's one I made recently, a Sherbet Kitten--pattern from Crochet Me's website. (Their free patterns are mostly ones readers have posted.)

I like this pattern because it uses sport-weight yarn and a D hook. I had some baby yarn which I used here. Lightweight yarn means the stitches are very fine and the kitten is very small!

This one's even smaller:
It's going to be part of a key chain for my ballet teacher, Suki, who always has the nicest purses and shoes, and always has her hands nicely manicured, etc. She is a very classy person.

The pattern for this one is from Positively Crochet, one of my favorite pattern books. I should buy it--I get it out periodically from the library. I'm working on another project from the book, something useFUL for a change, and I'll post a photo when I'm done.
This one isn't really totally useless--it's a bookmark. Still, it seems very indulgent to crochet with crochet thread (leftover from my Grandmother's stash) and a steel hook. It's so decorative and goes so slowly. But it was really fun to make, and I finished it in about an hour and a half.

I got that pattern--Ginko Leaf Bookmark--from The Crochet Dude. He's got some nice and unusual patterns--including ones for bowls crocheted from scrap fabric strips. Haven't tried that one.

Glad I have some crochet projects. It's the end of the term and I need a way to chill out at the end of the day. I've been reading a bit, but when I read student work all day, I need a break. And now it's gotten rainy, so fiddling around in the yard won't be an option for a few days.

The rain brought down lots of . . . debris. . . from the trees last night--spent maple blossoms and tiny maple helicopters. The patio and driveway were completely covered this morning. I went out with a snow shovel and shoveled up several bushels full of tree debris!

No comments: