Thursday, March 10, 2011

Boots and Tights

I've decided that there are a few compensations for a long, cold winter. One is sledding, another ice skating. Of course there's hot chocolate. And then there are boots and tights.

This winter I got a new pair of boots which I love so much, I had to figure out ways to wear them! Lots of young women have been wearing boots with jeans tucked in, but that look doesn't work well for me. The jeans get bagged out and untucked around the knees, and for some reason it makes my legs look stumpy and short.

I did wear my new boots with long skirts now and then. That's fun, especially since I have a couple of swoopy long skirts that move really gracefully when I walk along.

But the most fun is to wear boots with short skirts and tights.

You'd think that this wouldn't be very comfortable, but it is. First of all, I am physically incapable of wearing Killer Heels, so my boots all have Sensible Shoe-height heels. Very comfy for walking. Tights today are also way more comfortable then they used to be. I wear thick, opaque ones with lots of lycra and NO control top. Bruce got me a couple pairs of colorful ones that are particularly soft and stretchy.

And of course, the skirt needs to be just right. Most of my short skirts are soft and stretchy, too, like wearing sweats! Or, like the one I'm wearing in the photo, denim. I say they're short, but they're really top-of-the-knee length, so long enough to be modest, yet short enough to make it easy to stride along in those boots.

You may think that pants would be more comfortable than skirts. Not necessarily. Unless they're sweatpants, it's hard for most women to find pants that fit nicely--in the waist, hips, and thighs--and look good! If they fit nicely, they might be uncomfortable to sit in. If they're loose enough to be comfortable when sitting, it's likely that they look a bit dowdy and floppy. And pants bag out at the knees or grab in the crotch when you sit down. In many ways skirts are better. I remember one summer, I never wore shorts--just skirts--because I found them so much more comfortable!

I'm wearing my denim skirt, boots, and tights today despite the fact that I'm not doing anything special. When they're this comfy, boots and tights are fine for days of errand-running and sitting at a computer at home. I'm not "dressing up for" anyone. I just love way they leave my legs free to walk and run along. I love the way they're cheerful and unexpected.

No comments: