Friday, June 20, 2008

Jane: Baking with Mom


It's just about cherry season here in Iowa, and the boys and I picked a couple of handfuls, enough to make cherry muffins.

The recipe's my Mom's. I love baking and cooking from her recipes. It reminds me of her; I can almost picture her hands pitting those cherries.

Here's the recipe:

Sour Cherry Spice Muffins
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
Cream together.
Add 2 eggs and 1/2 c. sour milk (1/2 c. milk with 1/2 T. vinegar).
In a separate bowl, mix 2 c. flour, 1 t. baking power, 1 t. cinnamon, 1 t. ground cloves, 1/2 t. salt.
Stir dry into wet.
Fold in 1 1/2 c. pitted sour cherries.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Makes 15 muffins.
No, we don't own a cherry tree. We pick them at the boys' elementary school, where 2 large, fruitful cherry trees are completely ignored this time of year, except by us and the birds.

3 comments:

wclaspy said...

I can almost taste them!

Robbie the Great said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Muffins
yum

T-Mom said...

Sounds great! Send some to the yarn store? ;-)

My mom and sister and I used to sit around the kitchen table and pit cherries and talk. I miss that.