Monday, August 25, 2008

Jane: Pflaumenkuchen

Our neighbors brought us some plums last week, from a relative's tree. I decided to bake some pflaumenkuchen, a torte made with plums that I first had in Germany during the fall of 1980. I got the recipe from the NYT many years later. Basically, you make a pound cake batter and set the halved plums on top, then bake for 45 minutes.

The tortes (I made 2) came out great, though the batter completely covered the plums! Usually it surrounds them like little plum islands. The plums baked up nice and reddish purple, despite having yellowish flesh when raw. I forgot to take a picture of the completed tortes; here's what's left now.
We had our neighbors over for the kuchen, topped with real whipped cream. My neighbor now wants the recipe!

No comments: