Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Jane: Remy's Ratatouille


Eli and I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday. My mission was to get ingredients for ratatouille, one of my favorite late-summer meals. Everything I needed was there: eggplant, zucchini, tomato, onion, pepper. I also got some beans and a melon.

"Are you going to make that ratatouille that was in the movie?" asked Eli. Of course he meant the gorgeous ratatouille that Remy the rat created in the movie Ratatouille

"I was just going to make it the old fashioned way," I said.

"Make it like in the movie," said Eli. "It looked really cool."

I told him I'd find a recipe and make it that way--if he'd try it! He promised.

It wasn't hard to find recipes. I found this one on Smitten Kitchen--looked easy and I had all the ingredients. Well, I didn't have yellow squash, but I did have two colors of pepper: green and red. And I didn't have a round pan, but my rectangular glass one was fine. Unlike my standard Moosewood Cookbook recipe, the movie ratatouille (actually called a confit elsewhere) doesn't have tomatoes or red wine. The thinly-sliced veggies are laid on top of a thin layer of tomato sauce and baked in the oven.

Here's what mine looked like. Not bad! I had my little crocheted Remy there to inspire me.
It looked even nicer baked. I served it on polenta with some red wine.

Eli tried a tiny bite. Bruce and I finished it off!

No comments: