Thursday, July 3, 2008

Jane: Baking Project

Ewww! What is that goo in the bowl?

It's actually bread dough, from my favorite bread recipe, No-Knead Bread. I got the recipe from the New York Times, and have been making it now and then over the past few months.

Yes, the dough is very wet. It also has very little yeast (only 1/4 tsp.) so it rises overnight, about 12-18 hours!
After that, you take it out and let it rise again for another 2-3 hours. Here, I've divided the dough and sprinkled with corn meal, so it won't stick to the towel.
Here it is in the pans. Not a pretty sight!

I bake it in 2 medium bread pans. It needs to bake with a cover for the first half of the bake time, to cause the crispy crust to form. I put large bread pans over top for 25 minutes, then bake uncovered for 25 minutes.

And here it is, like bakery foccacia or cibatta bread--crackly crust and moist interior.
Tasty and easy!

No comments: